Perfect as a tea time snack, this easy peasy and very simple potato peas pattice is definitely a crowd pleaser. This recipe was passed on to me by my MIL. She made this once when she was visiting us and i totally fell in love with the simplicity of the recipe. The taste of this pattice brought back fond memories of Mumbai.
When i was working back in Mumbai, I always took the “ladies special” train to and back from work. So every day while coming back home in the evening, there was this sweet old lady who would board the same train from a particular station and would sell piping hot pakoras (made specifically during fasting days) inside the train. I totally loved them and would buy them whenever possible. So when mom in law made these potato peas pattice, it brought back memories of the train pakoras because they tasted so similar minus the peas :). Just like me, I am sure that you will definitely like this recipe. So go ahead and give it try :D.
Here’s the recipe:
Makes around 12 – 13 medium sized pattice
5 – 6 medium sized potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
1 tbsp of chili and cumin seeds crushed
Salt to taste
½ cup bread crumbs
For the stuffing:
2 cups of peas cooked
½ cup freshly grated coconut
½ cup groundnut powder (roasted and coarsely ground)
1 tbsp chilli and cumin seeds crushed
Salt to taste
A dash lemon juice
Oil for frying
1) Boil the peas and cook until they are done. Drain the peas, add the freshly grated coconut, groundnut powder, chili and cumin seeds crushed, salt and a dash of lemon juice. Keep it aside.
2) Simultaneously boil and cook the potatoes. Remove and let them cool. Peel the skin of the potatoes and mash them. To the mashed potatoes add around 1 tbsp of chili and cumin seeds, bread crumbs and salt to taste. Combine all of it and set it aside.
3) In a pan or kadai heat oil enough for deep frying. While the oil is heating up keep the pattice ready.
4) Apply a little oil to your hands. Take a lemon sized mixture of the potato, roll it into a ball and flatten it. Place around a tbsp of the peas filling in between the flattened potato, cover and seal it. (as shown in the pictures below).
5) Make all the pattice in a similar manner and keep it ready.
6) Deep fry in the oil for few mins (around 6- 7 mins) it may take more or less time depending on the size of the pattice you made.
And thats it. Yummy hot pattice are ready to be eaten. Serve hot along with chutney of your choice to ketchup and enjoy with hot cup of tea or coffee.